The Government of India opened up COVID-19 vaccination for those above 60 years of age and for those above 45 years with a comorbidity such as diabetes, hypertension, Kidney Disease etc. The number 45 was rather surprising. It is not even a round number like 50 or 60. I wonder if there is any scientific basis to that number.
Experts have called for vaccination to be opened up for all Hemodialysis patients. The following graphic shows why:
- Dialysis patients cannot stay at home because they need to visit the Dialysis Centre 3 times a week
- Data shows they are 5 to 20 times at higher risk of contracting the Novel Coronavirus than the rest of the population
- Once they contract the virus, their mortality rate is 10 to 430 times higher than the rest of the population
- Apart from the direct risks associated with COVID-19, if we don't vaccinate them, they are likely to reduce their dialysis frequency, increasing their mortality risk.
- COVID-19 prevalence among dialysis patients is about 20 times higher than the healthy population
- Among those who got infected, almost 99% were admitted to hospital with a mean stay of 12 days
- Mortality among those infected was about 23%, mortality among those > 55 years of age was 3 times higher than those <30 years old
- Mortality of the general population (not infected with COVID0 increased by about 3% over that of the previous year because of various reasons like reduction of dialysis frequency, moving or shutting down of some centres because of government takeover of hospitals, etc.